Automation Recipe: Humidity Controlled Fan

When it comes to protecting the health of your family and your home, few things can have as much of an impact as humidity. But striking a balance is challenging: too much humidity, defined as >60% RH, increases the amount of airborne microbes and pollutants, as well as the likelihood of mould and mildew buildup. Conversely, too little humidity, <40% RH, can cause many adverse health effects, including reduced resistance against chronic and acute airborne pollution, respiratory infections, and allergies.

It’s no surprise that your bathroom is the most at risk from the damaging effects of humidity, and while it is likely that the ventilation in the bathroom is able to manage it, it is not always used properly. After a shower or bath, it is just as likely for someone to have left the fan on for too long, leaching too much moisture from the air, as it is to have forgotten to turn the fan on at all.

The best way to guarantee that your ventilation is working optimally is to use Swidget Smart Home automations. By automating a Swidget Switch with Temperature and Humidity Sensor to turn your bathroom ventilation on when relative humidity rises and turn off when humidity goes back to normal, you don’t have to ever worry about whether your property or family’s health is at risk from suboptimal humidity levels.

Follow the Swidget Smart Recipe below to automate your bathroom fan with a Swidget Switch and Temperature and Humidity Sensor.

Description

This recipe automatically turns on your Swidget controlled bathroom fan when the humidity rises after a shower and automatically turns it off when humidity returns to normal.

Disclaimer

Please note that due to varying electrical code regulations, Swidget cannot give device wiring/installation advice. Please refer to the instructions that came with your product or consult a certified electrician if you need help.

Ingredients

Device: Choose one
15A Outlet 20A Outlet Switch Dimmer Auxiliary Control Switch 20/40/60 Switch
Insert: Choose one
Control USB Guide Light Power Out Light Motion Temp/Humi Temp/Humi/ Motion Air Quality
Protocol
Wi-Fi Z-Wave Zigbee

Skill Level

Moderate

Time Required

10 minutes

Recipe

1. First we will create the Humidity ON rule. Make sure that you have downloaded the Swidget App from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store, and that you have installed one of the Swidget Devices and paired a Swidget Insert from the chart above.

2. From the main menu, select the Automations Icon

3. Click Create Automation or the + sign.

4. On the Automations page, click Rule and give your Automation a name.

5. Click the + sign beside Select Trigger and choose the Humidity ( Icon-Insert-Humidity ) icon for the Swidget Switch that is controlling your fan.

6. On the Select Trigger page, choose Humidity Average and under If relative humidity… Exceeds enter 10% and 2 minutes for the humidity level and time. Click Continue.

7. Click the + sign beside Add Action and choose the Switch that is controlling your bathroom fan.

8. On the Select Action page, choose Turn ON. Click Continue.

9. Click Save Rule to have the Automation work all the time, or Add Start/End Times and/or specific days that you want it to operate.

10. Next we will create the Humidity OFF rule. From the main menu, select the Automations Icon

11. Click Create Automation or the + sign.

12. On the Automations page, click Rule and give your Automation a name.

13. Click the + sign beside Select Trigger and choose the Humidity ( Icon-Insert-Humidity ) icon for the Swidget Switch that is controlling your fan.

14. On the Select Trigger page, choose Humidity Average and under If relative humidity… Drops Below enter 5% and 5 minutes for the humidity level and time. Click Continue.

15. Click the + sign beside Add Action and choose the Switch that is controlling your bathroom fan.

16. On the Select Action page, choose Turn OFF. Click Continue.

17. Click Save Rule to have the Automation work all the time, or Add Start/End Times and/or specific days that you want it to operate.

Take control of your home's humidity levels

Use Swidget devices and never worry about excess moisture in your home.

Learn more
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Most Popular

Social Media

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new products, updates.

LEAVING SO SOON?

We hate to see you go without knowing why. Check the box(es) below to help us make your experience better next time.

If you'd like a response from us, leave your email here and we'll reach out.

Keep in touch

Fill in your details and get exclusive email updates. We promise we won’t spam you.